It’s that time again! Time for crockpot recipes and warm yummy comfort food. Shoutout to the people on my Instagram stories. 100% of them wanted this recipe! My grandmother walked me through this recipe 6 years ago. She refused to make them for me. Instead, she opted into giving me the ingredients and instructions. Over the years I’ve made it my own by adding seasoning like Herb de Provence and cooking it in my crockpot.Print
Chicken & Dumplings In The Crockpot
Delicious comfort food made easily in a crockpot. Prep and forget!
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hrs 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 Whole Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 Cans of biscuits
- 32 oz. Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 52 oz. of Cream of Chicken
- 1/2 cup Celery chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrots chopped
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Onion Powder
- 3 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp White Pepper
- 3 tbsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Herb de Provence
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- Salt ( optional since there’s tons of sodium in the dish)
- Chili Powder or Paprika (optional)
- 1/4 cup Flour (for rolling out dough)
1. Set your crockpot to 6 hours on low. Add the cream of chicken and chicken broth.
2. Next add the celery and carrots. Put the top on your crockpot. Chicken is up next.
3. Take the rotisserie chicken apart. DO NOT add skin to this dish. When taking the chicken apart keep in mind that you want to easily eat the chicken. Don’t add any pieces that aren’t easily chewable. If they’re hard to cut, they’ll be hard to chew. Once you have finished taking the chicken apart sat what you’re using to the side.
4. Next prepare your area to roll out the biscuits to make dumplings. Lightly sprinkle flour over the surface first. Then roll out the biscuits as flat as possible without tearing them.
5. Cut the flattened biscuits, now dough, into rectangular pieces. Not all of them will be perfect rectangles.
6. Next, take your seasonings and season the dumplings. This may seem insane but trust me you want to season them. You want every bite to have flavor and this will ensure that.
7. Next add the seasoned dumplings and chicken to the crockpot.
8. Season this dish again if you see fit. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and cumin. These are our holy grail seasonings for this dish. You can add other seasonings. If you want it a little spice, then a few dashes of paprika are ideal.
9. Next add the butter.
10.Stir this dish.
11. Check on your chicken and dumplings at every two-hour mark. After the first 4 hours, taste your dish and add more of your holy grail seasonings. Be sure to stir, to ensure there is no sticking to the bottom of the pan.
12. After 6 hours, your dish is ready! TIME TO ENJOY!!
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Keywords: chicken and dumplings, crockpot recipe, comfort food, simple comfort food recipe